Chingford 21 v Brentwood 15


KO 2.15

Chingford 1st team were shattered from comprehensive defeats in 4 of their last 5 matches and then suffered a further hammer blow with the untimely passing this week of their assistant manager and club stalwart, Gary Hollis. A minutes silence preceded the fixture but the next 80 minutes or so pulsated with end to end rugby and raucous verbal encouragement from both sets of supporters. Chingford welcomed back four players to strengthen their squad and bring much needed resilience and spirit to their play.

Early pressure by Chingford saw them rewarded with a kickable penalty but this was squandered by Dan Boughtwood. Brentwood reacted to this by creating two excellent scoring chances with multiple overlaps available but greed by their centres brought them nothing.  Chingford came back strongly and deliberate foul play by Brentwood got them a yellow card and brought Chingford two more kickable penalties which this time were ably slotted by Boughtwood.  This settled Chingford and even with even numbers they began to take control with a fine three-quarter move seeing Barnaby Bury going over in the corner.  The conversion missed, the next 10 minutes passed off fairly quietly except for Chingford’s injury jinx to strike again with flanker Joe Perks limping off just before half time to be replaced by the returning Matt Lockwood.

If Chingford thought this 11-0 advantage would see them home, they were rudely awakened by Brentwood scoring a penalty and a converted try in the first ten minutes of the second half to bring it to 11-10. As if it were their turn Chingford monopolised the next ten minutes scoring their own penalty and a brilliantly converted try in the corner by the returning Kurt Forward.  The eleven point gap, replaced, was seemingly yet another spur to Brentwood and their marauding forwards eventually punctured the Chingford defence to set up a thrilling last quarter. With just five points now between them, Brentwood pressed and Chingford resisted sometimes with great skill, sometimes with good fortune but always with the last ounce of their strength. One of these saw a fatal indiscretion by Lockwood and his return match performance was at an end. The last few minutes of injury time saw Chingford face 5 metre line out after line out and scrum after scrum with their reduced numbers but their resolve was immense and their reward a 21-15 victory.

“I’m sure Gary was watching that thrilling encounter and it was plain for all to see that his team spirit was very much in evidence. The team won today whilst in previous weeks our side has lost”, said Chingford President, John Garrett.

1.       Steve Piper

2.       James Williams

3.       Wesley Mbewe

4.       Ben Jeynes

5.       Barnaby Bury

6.       Joe Perks

7.       Dave Brown

8.       Ollie Hoad

9.       JP Sharpe

10.    Dan Boughtwood (Capt)

11.    James Moy

12.    Kalem Abbott

13.    Brandon Hart

14.    Andre Cabrera

15.    Kurt Forward


1.       George Hall

2.       Matt Lockwood

3.       Abdel Giles

Scorers: Boughtwood (3P, C), Bury (T), Forward (T)